The relationship between the US fast-food chain and the cryptocurrency industry went on another level in the past several days during the market correction. The latest to get involved was Tesla’s CEO – Elon Musk.
- Bitcoin and the rest of the crypto space slumped in value in less than a week. The entire market cap lost over $500 billion in five days at one point.
- During such steep corrections in a short time, the crypto community tends to seek comfort from memes. One of the favorite topics includes joking about starting to work at McDonald’s.
- While this has been going on for years, this latest correction led to several responses from the fast-food chain, including a question that spurred various conversations and more memes.
- Furthermore, the official Twitter account of McDonald’s followed the founder of IOHK – the organization behind Cardano – Charles Hoskinson.
- Later on, even Elon Musk joined the conversation. The billionaire promised to eat a happy meal on TV if the fast-food chain started accepting payments with Dogecoin.
I will eat a happy meal on tv if @McDonalds accepts Dogecoin
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 25, 2022
- As with previous Musk engagements, this one led to a sharp price increase for the memecoin. DOGE jumped from $0.135 to above $0.15 before retracing just as quickly.