American fast-food behemoth McDonald’s is the latest major brand to make a move into the metaverse by filing no fewer than twelve trademark applications on February 4, eleven of which make direct references to virtual restaurants, cafes, concerts, and other virtual services, goods, and events.
Trademark attorney and founder of Gerben Intellectual Property Josh Gerben first brought up the applications on Twitter, pointing out 10 applications filed by the fast-food chain.
These filings indicate that the company many plan to offer “a virtual restaurant featuring actual and virtual goods” and “operating a virtual restaurant featuring home delivery.”
One of the filing applications requests to trademark “Virtual food and beverage products” and “Downloadable multimedia files containing artwork, text, audio and video files and non-fungible tokens” (NFTs).
McDonald’s also included its McCafe brand in the Metaverse trademark application. The brand also seeks to trademark “Virtual food and beverage products” and “Downloadable multimedia files containing artwork, text, audio and video files and non-fungible tokens.”
The move follows a broader trend within the industry where big tech and luxury companies are trying to get their share of the future digital world.
Just earlier this year, Walmart and Crocs filed trademark applications indicating that they plan to offer virtual goods, digital assets, and NFTs.
– Crypto Tech Trends in 2022: UX, Scalability, Metaverse Applications, and Bitcoin Integrations
– McDonald’s Happily Trolls Crypto Twitter – and the Responses Are (Darkly) Hilarious
– McDonald’s, Starbucks, Subway May Take Part in Digital Yuan Tests – Reports
– What Coinbase CEO, Paris Hilton & McDonald’s Have in Common? NFT
– ‘Flurry’ of Walmart Patents Show Willingness to Embrace Crypto, NFTs and the Metaverse
– Apple’s Metaverse
– Microsoft Looks To Hybrid Work, Gaming To Boost Its Metaverse Coverage
– People ‘Will Spend 1 Hour a Day in Metaverse in Four Years’ Time, Predicts Gartner
– Shiba Inu Steps Into the Metaverse, LEASH Token Soars
– Chinese Local Gov’ts, Tech Firms Take Tentative Metaverse Steps